Thursday, December 8, 2011

Crockpot Breakfast... ICK!

I love cooking with my crock pot.  I only mention this... all the time.

Crockpot Applesauce, Crockpot Applebutter, Crockpot Lasagna, Crockpot Chicken, Crockpot Steak...

But let me take this time to tell you... Crockpot Breakfast... EPIC FAIL!

One of my favorite breakfast ideas is a sausage and potato breakfast casserole that I make.  I'm not sure if there is a recipe for this anywhere but it's those cheesy potatoes that everyone brings to a pot luck with sausage in them - sort of my creation but maybe not - someone else may have thought of this also.  But whatever.

This weekend while I was in the midst of a crockpot explosion with three crockpots on my counter going, I had an idea.  I would make the breakfast casserole and put it in the crockpot to cook for the night rather than getting up making it on Sunday morning. 

Brilliant. 

Genius. 

Why hadn't I thought of this sooner?

Because it was a REALLY BAD IDEA!  That's why!

The next morning when I ran into the kitchen to open the crockpot for a wonderful breakfast... I was disgusted to find a bunt, icky mess that made me gag to even think of taking a bite.  I never even tried it, just simply dumped it in the trash and tried to avoid smelling it.  It was so gross.

I should have known that breakfast casserole in a crockpot was probably not as smart as I thought it was.  I have made crockpot oatmeal and other random breakfast dishes over the years that have always been... disgusting.  Why should this be any different?

Of course this too would be far too over cooked!

So... lesson learned.  Not everything that is super awesome in the oven will be super awesome in the crockpot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment